Re: Standardize Buttons For TV-Web Remotes?

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 12:25:01 -0400
To: Janna Chang <janna@iii.org.tw>
CC: Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com>, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, W3C Web and TV <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
Hi, Janna-

Janna Chang wrote (on 5/25/11 6:08 AM):

> It surely a right direction to standardize the buttons on Remotes.
> Thinking of all the CE devices are converging, features like ff, bf,
> record, etc may need to show up on the future TV remotes (to support the
> time shift TV feature).
> Further, with potentially home appliances (such as air conditioners,
> light switches, washers, refrigerators, home security cameras, etc.) are
> networked and controlled via remotes, may I suggest us to standardize
> not just the remote for TV-Web, but also those remotes to control home
> appliances ?

I think this such a list of keys for the increasing variety of
Web-connected devices is a reasonable idea.

I don't believe that this needs to be in the DOM3 Events
specification... the list there is intended to be extended over time, as
needs emerge.

I would suggest that this community discuss such a list of keys, and the
results can be published a separate list of key value extensions for
these specific devices, or can be published as part of the errata for
DOM3 Events Second Edition.  I think that the first approach is cleaner,
but either way works.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, WebApps, and Web Events WGs