Re: WebApps-ISSUE-178 (empty string and null event types): Implementations and DOM Core allow empty string and null event types [DOM3 Events]

On 05/10/2011 08:00 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 5:57 AM, Jonas Sicking<jonas@sicking.cc>  wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Simon Pieters<simonp@opera.com>  wrote:
>>> On Tue, 10 May 2011 09:53:36 +0200, Jonas Sicking<jonas@sicking.cc>
>> wrote:
>>> Some argued for that but DOM Core was then changed to have a flag -
>>>
>> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#initialized-flag
>>
>> Why? What was the advantage with that approach? I'd rather not head
>> down a path that'll make us add extra API just to check the
>> initialized flag if someone comes up with a use case a couple of years
>> down the road.
>>

> I don't think this was a good change, either, as I said at the time: adding
> extra state is worse than all of the other options (such as using an empty
> event type to mean "not initialized").  I figured it would make more sense
> to shelve the DOM Core-related discussions until Anne returns, though.

AFAICT, both Gecko and Presto seem to match the specification, while
WebKit doesn't. (I haven't tested Trident.) If you convince UAs to
implement the behaviour you prefer, I'll be happy to update DOM Core
accordingly. Otherwise, I haven't seen any new information in this thread.

Thanks
Ms2ger