Re: WebApps-ISSUE-178 (empty string and null event types): Implementations and DOM Core allow empty string and null event types [DOM3 Events]

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:27:10 +0200
To: www-dom@w3.org, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com>
On Fri, 13 May 2011 23:09:45 +0200, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/10/2011 08:00 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
>> I don't think this was a good change, either, as I said at the time:
>> adding extra state is worse than all of the other options (such as
>> using an empty event type to mean "not initialized").  I figured it
>> would make more sense to shelve the DOM Core-related discussions until
>> Anne returns, though.
>
> AFAICT, both Gecko and Presto seem to match the specification, while
> WebKit doesn't. (I haven't tested Trident.) If you convince UAs to
> implement the behaviour you prefer, I'll be happy to update DOM Core
> accordingly. Otherwise, I haven't seen any new information in this
> thread.

It seems sicking was willing to change this in Gecko. And I do not think
the specification is being matched for all details anyway so we should be
able to change this around. I am in favor of exposing the uninitialized
state through the empty string name as well. Unless you object I think I
will make DOM Core say that instead for now as it is the better option.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/