Re: WebApps-ISSUE-178 (empty string and null event types): Implementations and DOM Core allow empty string and null event types [DOM3 Events]

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 14:00:44 -0400
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>, "annevk@opera.com" <annevk@opera.com>
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 5:57 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 2:19 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 May 2011 09:53:36 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
> wrote:
> > Some argued for that but DOM Core was then changed to have a flag -
> >
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#initialized-flag
>
> Why? What was the advantage with that approach? I'd rather not head
> down a path that'll make us add extra API just to check the
> initialized flag if someone comes up with a use case a couple of years
> down the road.

I don't think this was a good change, either, as I said at the time: adding
extra state is worse than all of the other options (such as using an empty
event type to mean "not initialized").  I figured it would make more sense
to shelve the DOM Core-related discussions until Anne returns, though.

--
Glenn Maynard