Re: capturing load events III

From: Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:37:04 +0100
To: "Master Br" <master@sitesbr.net>, www-dom@w3.org

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:10:19 +0100, Master Br <master@sitesbr.net> wrote:

> If the DOM specs say something that is against the good sense (I have
> got some messages saying that the only browser that follows strictly the
> DOM specs is exactly
> the one that shows the worst behavior

You have the choice according to the DOM2 Events spec to use capture or
not. In Opera that is a meaningful choice, using "true" as third
addEventListener gives you a different behaviour from using "false".

Since capturing event listeners behave in ways you don't expect, fair
enough - use non-capturing, normal ones.

> it has the window load event fired every time a children load event
> occurs and is BLIND to actual children load events added by script for
> those children) I think that this DOM spec has something wrong and
> should be reviewed.

The point of this part of the spec is to let you as the author *choose*
what behaviour you want. Either capture all events or see only bubbling
ones during bubbling phase. I think it is useful to have that choice, and
it is too late to rewrite a spec that is already considered stable and
implemented in several browsers like Firefox, Opera and Safari.

If you keep insisting the spec (and Opera, Safari and Firefox
some-future-version) is wrong please explain why you can not just use
"false" as the third argument to choose the behaviour that makes sense to
you :-) .

To make sure this discussion doesn't continue on the wrong list I will
only respond if new viewpoints are raised, or respond privately.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen
Core QA JavaScript tester, Opera Software