Re: Special group of functions for NON-ELEMENT nodes in document

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:09:42 +0200
To: "Matt Dockerty" <matt@nistrum.co.uk>, www-dom@w3.org

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:58:32 +0200, Matt Dockerty <matt@nistrum.co.uk>
wrote:
> An addition to a current draft is one possible solution to the
> non-standard DOM implementations. Something which a developer could use
> to strip whitespace nodes from the document tree they are working with.
> For example, a call to a new document.normalizeWhitespace() prior to DOM
> processing. Then the developer could be assured that their code would
> work on any implementation and axis selection methods could be used
> optimally.

SVG has introduced some attributes for handling most of the traversal:

   interface ElementTraversal {
     readonly attribute Element  firstElementChild;
     readonly attribute Element  lastElementChild;
     readonly attribute Element  nextElementSibling;
     readonly attribute Element  previousElementSibling;
   };

The idea was to introduce this for the DOM at some point as I understand
it, but I haven't tracked it much.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>