Re: Special group of functions for NON-ELEMENT nodes in document

Apologies Ray. Please contact me personally if you would like to discuss
your mail. I don't think that doing so here would be valuable to everyone.

An addition to a current draft is one possible solution to the
non-standard DOM implementations. Something which a developer could use
to strip whitespace nodes from the document tree they are working with.
For example, a call to a new document.normalizeWhitespace() prior to DOM
processing. Then the developer could be assured that their code would
work on any implementation and axis selection methods could be used
optimally.

Best,
Matt

Ray Whitmer wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Matt Dockerty wrote:
>
>> On 26 Sep 2006, at 12:13, Ray David Whitmer wrote:
>> Agreed. I think the slack has to be tightened because users can
>> currently (inadvertently or otherwise) write non-portable, yet valid,
>> DOM programs.
>
> It would be nice for some, but it is not likely to happen.
>
>> normalizeDocument or normalize() seemed like the perfect answer but
>> calling it crashes Internet Explorer 6 immediately meaning it's use
>> on real Web pages is out, until IE6 is out of the picture anyway.
>
> In case you wondered, crashing is not the documented behavior.  Until
> IE6 is
> out of the picture, how would a different standard solve anything?
> Perhaps
> other vendors should emulate IE6 right down to the crashes just so we can
> all get along?
>
>> Taking something common and hierarchical like a treeview or a tiered
>> menu system and doing processing with DOM methods would be so much
>> more useful than any ID based
[truncated]