W3C DOM and personal opinion...

From: David BERCOT <david.bercot@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:35:25 +0200 (CEST)
To: www-dom@w3.org

Hi,

I'm new on this list so, first of all, I have to present myself.
I'm French and I'm an Internet developer for a long time...
I am accustomed with MS DOM and I was very surprised to discover so many differences between the two DOMs ;-)

I develop a form where I'd like the user to be blocked in an input zone if a condition is met.
With IE, it's easy : on the onchange event, I do a 'return false' and everything is ok !!!

In Firefox (which is W3C DOM compliant), I've discovered that a lot of events are not cancelable !!!
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Events-20001113/events.html#Events-eventgroupings-htmlevents
[there is a bug with Firefox 1.5.0.4 which says that onchange event is cancelable but, of course, can't cancel it]

I don't understand why all these events are not cancelable. If they were, it would give another possibily for the developer.

May be I don't have a global vision on this subject...

Do you have any elements to explain me why the W3C DOM was conceived like that ?

Thank you very much.

David.