Re: DOM interfaces for XSLT

On Monday 06 June 2005 14:57, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Joseph Kesselman wrote:
> > I'm still not convinced that the DOM WG, per se, should be the group
> > tackling this (or has the resources to do so), but I'm not sure who
> > should be dealing with it.
>
> Oh on that we agree, it should be another group specializing in
> application-oriented APIs and vocabularies for browsers and other such
> web application environements.

While off-topic, it is on occasions like these I find a pity in the W3C
process.

I find it easy to find work inside W3C that needs to be done: whole
specifications missing, extensions in specifications being abscent, test
suites that needs completion, and so forth. Mostly the reaction is "Good
Idea, Someone Should start a Working Group for that." After that passes a
handful of years, with no clear answers on if anything will happen at all.

Let's take this XSLT-DOM example; I could write a requirements document,
referencing status quo among current implementations and the XSLT
specification; followed by a DOM specification that closely mimics JAXP
changed by what the creators Had Learned Until The Next Time, to finally go
honking the XML lists for feedback. I think most people would find the result
great. But what happens? It will be grinded in the W3C machinery to take
years, three or four does not sounds unrealistic to me.

The questions that begs is, is the W3C bureaucracy justified? I can't answer
if it fully is, but it surely is frustrating.

Cheers,

		Frans