Re: document.referrer, .cookie, .domain

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 12:12, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > I was wondering if the DOM Working Group would consider splitting the DOM
> > HTML features document.referrer, document.cookie, and document.domain out
> > of the HTML-specific interface, and into a general "browser" interface
> > that applies to all XML documents as well. (I understand that not all DOM
> > implementations would want to support these features, which is why I am
> > not suggesting they be made part of the DOM core.)
> >
> > There isn't really anything HTML-specific about these three attributes,
> > and I think authors would benefit from being able to use them from other
> > contexts, such as SVG, without having to cast their document object to an
> > HTML object despite there being no HTML on the page. :-)
>
> Yes, that would indeed be great, especially as none of the alternative are any
> good (casting, proprietary, reinventing the wheel). The splitting out would seem
> to require minimal work and could be readily reused by other specs.

I have no objection of doing so and we could certainly add it on our
wishes list:
http://www.w3.org/2001/10/23-DOMOpenList
... but that would require that the Working Group do produce work on a
general "browser" interface, which we don't for the moment. Our current
plans are to finish DOM Level 3 (which is really late on schedule) for
the moment but, for the moment, we don't plan to produce more work after
that.

Philippe