Request: use NOM (Navigator Object Model) instead of "DOM Level 0 " to avoid confusion

From: SEAK, Teng-Fong <tfseak@futurmaster.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 12:00:04 -0500 (EST)
To: "'www-dom@w3.org'" <www-dom@w3.org>
Hi there,

    In your DOM specifications' glossaries, you've mention about DOM 0, eg
this URL:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-DOM-Level-1-20000929/glossary.html#dt-DOM-Level
-0
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-DOM-Level-1-20000929/glossary.html#dt-DOM-Leve
l-0>

    However, why you didn't just call it BOM (Browser Object Model) or NOM
(Navigator Object Model) instead of using this slang of DOM-0 ?  Actually,
my request is based on two points:

1) it's confusing because DOM-0 would mislead us to think about Document
whereas it's actually Navigator that we're talking about.

2) as a consortium, your every decision has a very big impact and infuence
on others.  And right now, many people are taking DOM-0 as _standard_ and
they would state your glossary as reference, but in fact, you _did_not_
define such a term as DOM-0.  You just borrowed it (as stated at the
beginning of the glossary but visibly few people had noticed that
paragraph).

    So I hope that you could do something to rectify this confusion.

    Respectfully yours,

SEAK Teng-Fong
FuturMaster
Tel : +33 (0) 1.46.08.05.96