Re: UserDataHandler.NODE_DELETED

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:28:01 -0500
To: "www-dom" <www-dom@w3.org>

When we designed that message, I believe we explicitly recognized that
there could be no promise that it would ever be issued but that even
having it _sometimes_ occur would facilitate memory management... in other
words, it is no more and no less reliable, or useful, than the
storage-library-level finalizers themselves.

I wouldn't want to see this dropped. But I do think it's appropriate to
indicate that when/whether this message is sent is both  implementation
and environment dependent. There may be Java implementations which don't
issue it (finalizers have strange effects on some JVMs, which some
implementations may want to avoid), there may be other implementations
which implemented their own memory management system...

Another annoying question to consider: In Java, finalizers normally run in
a separate thread. Do we need to warn folks that this event, unlike most
other DOM behaviors, may occur asynchronously? Or are we going to ask
implementers in that sort of environment to enqueue these back into the
main thread?

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research