Re: Readonly question

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:28:36 -0500
To: Mark Hellegers <M.H.Hellegers@stud.tue.nl>, <www-dom@w3.org>
At 4:19 PM +0100 2/11/02, Mark Hellegers wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to implement the DOM core api in C++ and I'm not sure what the
>specification means by readonly.
>I read the definition of read only in the glossary, but it still doesn't
>make much sense to me.

When attached to an attribute, e.g.

interface Document : Node {
   // Modified in DOM Level 3:
   readonly attribute DocumentType    doctype;

this means that the specified attribute will have a getter method but
not a setter method. It does not mean that the internal
characteristics of that object will not change. In this example this
means that you cannot change a Document object's doctype to point it
at a different object. However, you might be able to use methods in
the DocuemntType class to change the properties of the doctype object
if they're not also declared to be read-only. (Actually in this case,
I think they are, so that's a bad example.)