What is the meaning of the DOM ECMAScript binding?

From: Jesse McCarthy <mccarthy36@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:06:27 -0500
To: www-dom@w3.org
I asked a similar question on this list previously (see http://lists.w3.
org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2001OctDec/0064.html ), but I am not completely
convinced / satisifed with the answer I got.

Is the DOM ECMAScript binding intended to be taken literally?  For instance, is
the meaning of the binding that the 'Document' interface should be accessed as
an object called 'Document', and not 'document' or 'custardPudding', or
_anything_ else?

It seems to me that the answer must be yes, that it is intended to be taken
literally.  In my initial post I cited the example of the Netscape 6.1 browser
which I have been using to experiement with the DOM, and which provides an
object called 'document' that represents the 'HTMLDocument' interface (which
inherits from 'Document', of course).  I asked if that implementation _fails_
to comply with the ECMAScript binding and the individual who replied answered
that it "is not inconsistent".  I think that is wrong.  I don't see anything in
the DOM Core spec or the ECMAScript binding identified as 'document' so it must
be proprietary (I'm well aware that it is historical).  If the purpose of the
binding is not to establish actual object names, then I don't see what purpose
it would serve.

Can someone please answer this question for me definitively?

Thanks,
Jesse McCarthy