Re: What is the meaning of the DOM ECMAScript binding?

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 18:16:29 -0500
To: Jesse McCarthy <mccarthy36@earthlink.net>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org

The DOM is an API, not a set of specific variables. It expressed absolutely
no opinion on what your variable are called; it just says that if you have
an object which presents the Document interface, it will have thus-and-such
methods and properties and behaviors.

If you want to assign a Document to a variable that you call custardPudding
-- assuming that the datatype of the variable is such that it will accept a
Document -- that's entirely your choice -- just as you can name your
integer variables anything you please.

> If the purpose of the  binding is not to establish actual object names,
>then I don't see what purpose it would serve.

It isn't. It establishes the methods and behaviors of those objects once
you've obtained them. How you obtain them is out of the DOM's scope.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research