Re: What is the meaning of the DOM ECMAScript binding?

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:10:50 -0500
To: Jesse McCarthy <mccarthy36@earthlink.net>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org, neil_laurance@yahoo.co.uk

> I disagree that it is trivial.  What is the use of standards if you still
have
> to write code forks to accomodate every browser known to man?

The use of standards is to standardize the things the standard covers. If
one standard (the DOM) doesn't cover that part of the browser APIs (it
doesn't), that sounds like a great opportunity to start a project to
establish one that does.

Every API project needs to draw a boundary somewhere and say what it does
and doesn't cover. The DOM is intended to be API for the data model
representing the document; it isn't specific to browsers, so it doesn't
attempt to define browser behavior except within that one box.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research