RE: Namespace resolver in DOM-XPath (suggests additional Node met hod in Core)

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:01:24 -0400
To: "'www-dom@w3.org'" <www-dom@w3.org>

I think the question of which cases are rare or common is going to depend
on exactly what your applications want to do with XPath. I'm assuming that
the most common uses of XPath are going to be either programmatic (in which
case the prefix definitions are most likely already in a table of some
sort), or invoked from XML-based languages (in which case the definitions
are most likely based on the node which caused the XPath to be invoked, and
hence may benefit from incremental resolution). For me, the string case
seems likely to be the least commonly used of the three and easily
converted into the former... but your milage may vary.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research