Re: Level 3, DocumentOrder & TreePosition enums

From: Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:50:33 -0500 (EST)
To: www-dom@w3.org

I wrote earlier:
 >   In looking at the Level 3 working draft, I see that the
 > DocumentOrder and TreePosition enums defined in the Node interface
 > both use the names SAME and UNORDERED, but the numeric values will be
 > different given the IDL as specified.

  Looking at this further, the use of the same names for two
enumerations in the same scope is illegal IDL -- no IDL compiler
should accept this.  (There's also a minor error with extra semicolons
between the enum definition and the typedef name, but let's consider
that a simple typo!)
  I'll propose that a single enumeration should be used, and should
define the names that are defined for TreePosition, but perhaps call
it TreeOrder.  That type can be used for both compareDocumentOrder()
and compareTreePosition().

Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations