Re: Level 3, DocumentOrder & TreePosition enums

From: Ray Whitmer <rayw@netscape.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:37:45 -0800
To: "Fred L. Drake Jr." <fdrake@acm.org>
CC: www-dom@w3.org
Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

>   I'll propose that a single enumeration should be used, and should
> define the names that are defined for TreePosition, but perhaps call
> it TreeOrder.  That type can be used for both compareDocumentOrder()
> and compareTreePosition().

"Tree order" doesn't seem to capture the meaning like "tree position"
does.  The distinction in names is intentional.

While ancestors and descendants have order within a document using
conventions of document order (which start tag was encountered first),
they have no sequential order within a tree hierarchy.  Being an
ancestor or a descendant does not feel like "order" to me, but rather
relative position of the nodes, which can be in one of four directions.

Ray Whitmer
rayw@netscape.com