Re: Intent to make a Debian package with DOM Java bindings

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 21:29:53 +0100
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org>
CC: www-dom@w3.org
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Friday 5 November 1999, at 15 h 0, the keyboard of Stephane Bortzmeyer
> <bortzmeyer@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > I am not sure we can put the Java bindings in "main". The licence
> > <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-DOM-Level-1/copyright-notice.html> says
> > "No right to create modifications or derivatives is granted pursuant
> > to this license."
>
> OK, Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> remarked that W3C software is covered by a
> different licence,

That's right. Our W3C softwares are covered by :
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-software
and our documents are covered by :
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-documents

> <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-software.html> (thanks for your
> FAQ about licensing, BTW), and therefore is free. So, unless I misundesrtood
> the above licence, the Java bindings to DOM will be in our "main" section.

Sorry, but the Java binding are part of the DOM Level 1 specification.
They are
covered by our document copyright. You can't modify them in any way.
Feel free
to package them as long as you don't modify them.

Philippe.
---------
Philippe Le Hegaret - http://www.w3.org/People/LeHegaret/
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), DOM Activity Lead