Re: DOM Level 2 needs getElementById method

From: Lauren Wood <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 16:22:52 -0700
To: www-dom@w3.org
On 8 Oct 99, at 10:06, David Brownell wrote:

> I don't see a rush for getting L2 out; I'd rather see it out with
> the features it needs.  And I'd far rather see a decent job be done
> on DTDs in the next month or two, and cause a slight delay in L2 DOM
> (and time pressure to keep it slight!), than to see most of a year
> pass before L3 happens.  L3 is sure to have all kinds of other stuff
> going on.

I guess it depends on what you think Level 2 is - to me it's a
collection of modules which happen to be ready in about the same
time-frame. This means it doesn't really make sense to hold up
everything else that is ready to add a new module; I'd rather get
Level 2 out the door and start working on the modules for Level 3
after that.

If we do that, we can release a WD of Level 3 modules as soon as
they are ready. Given that there are old DTD proposals floating
around, it shouldn't take long to get the DTD module into shape for
being released. I think we should start with requirements and then
do the design, rather than leap straight into design. So we could
make the requirements public as a first step and invite comment on
those.

The gating factor for all of the DOM work, of course, is finding
people with experience who will commit their time and energy to
doing that work. The list of things for the DOM WG to look at
keeps growing; with a few more experienced, knowledgable people
on the DOM WG we could get more of them done in a reasonable
time-frame as well.

Lauren