Re: DOM Level 2 needs getElementById method

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:16:24 -0400
To: Paul <prescod@prescod.net>
cc: www-dom@w3.org
> I don't see how IDs are more of a DTD issue than NOTATIONs.

Notations, at least, are isolated -- you can set them and query them and they
don't otherwise interact with anything else. IDs do need to so interact; to use
them you have to be able to set the type of an attribute, which requires
defining an attribute, which we don't currently do.

Default attributes, like IDs, currently have no place in the DOM to assert them.
They do, however, have defined behavior. Personally, I consider that an
unpleasant situation and I have no particular wish to exacerbate it. But I do
understand that folks want IDs -- and in fact all of DTDs -- yesterday if not
sooner.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research