Re: DOM Level 2 needs getElementById method

From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 15:27:23 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
keshlam@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Notations, at least, are isolated -- you can set them and query them and they
> don't otherwise interact with anything else. IDs do need to so interact; to use
> them you have to be able to set the type of an attribute, which requires
> defining an attribute, which we don't currently do.

I'm not clear on the difficult part.

Looking up IDs is trivial.

Traversing an IDREF is just a matter of looking up an ID so that's
trivial too.

Setting an ID is just setting an attribute so that's trivial too.

Of course the underlying implementation needs to know that the attribute
is an ID attribute but that's not particularly difficult either.

Being able to change the DTD to make an attribute INTO an ID attribute
would be neat, but I think that that is a clearly separable problem: a
DTD problem instead of a document instance problem.

 Paul PRescod