Re: The DOM is not a model, it is a library!

From: Steve Ball <Steve.Ball@zveno.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 10:24:11 +1000
"Stephen R. Savitzky" wrote:

> Actually I believe I'm the one who wrote that.  Be careful of quote-nesting.

Sorry about that.  I tried to get the attribution right, but it got
muddled up :-(

> > TclDOM has almost all of the DOM Level 1 features and is only 2200 lines
>              ^^^^^^
> The last 10% is what takes 90% of the time.   How efficient are the live
> nodelists returned from getElementsByTagName?  Can you redefine an Entity
> and what happens if you do?

These are implementation details.  When I say my package is not 100% complete
I mean that it is missing things like the string and text functions.  I didn't
bother with those because Tcl already provides a rich set of features
for dealing
with strings.  Things like live node lists are about as efficient as
they can be
in a high-level scripting language like Tcl (there is an alternative implementation
in C++ in development).

My point was to demonstrate, by example, that implementing the DOM is
not all that
difficult.

Cheers,
Steve Ball