Re: The DOM is not a model, it is a library!

From: Stephen R. Savitzky <steve@rsv.ricoh.com>
Date: 07 Oct 1999 08:07:52 -0700
Steve Ball <Steve.Ball@zveno.com> writes:

> > > keshlam@us.ibm.com writes:
> > >
> > >       fully implementing
> > > the DOM is a major undertaking, and rest assured that if you only do a
> > > subset _somebody_ will come back in the future and demand the rest.

Actually I believe I'm the one who wrote that.  Be careful of quote-nesting.

> TclDOM has almost all of the DOM Level 1 features and is only 2200 lines
             ^^^^^^
The last 10% is what takes 90% of the time.   How efficient are the live
nodelists returned from getElementsByTagName?  Can you redefine an Entity
and what happens if you do?

My Java implementation, also with (a different set of) extensions is about
twice that and is also _almost_ complete.  But making it fully compliant
would mean rewriting large parts of my application, so it isn't going to
happen.

--
Stephen R. Savitzky  <steve@rsv.ricoh.com>  <http://rsv.ricoh.com/~steve/>
Platform for Information Applications:      <http://RiSource.org/PIA/>