Re: HTML APIs

At 05:10 PM 12/30/98 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
>Character data is not permitted directly within a BODY element,
>which is what was wrong with my previous example.  But my points
>about HTML, HEAD, and BODY all being present in all HTML documents,
>even if both start-tags and end-tags are omitted, is correct.
>See the HTML 4.0 DTD.

Ahhh, I see your point.  I shouldn't have quibbled with you, but just
wanted to make the point that all sorts of HTML-ish tagged content gets
passed off as HTML on the Web, and the DOM does NOT attempt to specify how
that stuff gets represented to the DOM user.  In the example under
discussion, it's probably obvious what the DOM processor should and will
do, but I wanted to make the larger point clear to this mailing list since
it is a VERY frequently asked question.

Mike