From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:10:36 -0500 (EST)
To: mcc@arbortext.com (Mike Champion)
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
Mike Champion scripsit:

> >	<TITLE>Foo</TITLE>Bar
> Paste the above into a file and bring it up in Netscape. No complaints.

Naturally not.

> This is certainly not valid HTML 4.0 (or any other version of the standard
> I can imagine),

Well, you're right, but not for the reason being discussed.  The
following small variant:

*is* valid HTML 4.0 (assuming you add an appropriate DOCTYPE declaration).
It is equivalent to:

You can confirm this with the W3C HTML Validator Service.
I have put up http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/foo.html as a sample;
the Validator Service is at http://validator.w3.org .

Character data is not permitted directly within a BODY element,
which is what was wrong with my previous example.  But my points
about HTML, HEAD, and BODY all being present in all HTML documents,
even if both start-tags and end-tags are omitted, is correct.
See the HTML 4.0 DTD.

John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.