Re: HTML APIs

From: Russ Thomas <russthomas@qsius.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:14:59 -0500
To: <www-dom@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>

<snip>

Character data is not permitted directly within a BODY element,
which is what was wrong with my previous example.  But my points
about HTML, HEAD, and BODY all being present in all HTML documents,
even if both start-tags and end-tags are omitted, is correct.
See the HTML 4.0 DTD.

Agreed, and as it should be.  The "evolution of thinking" that has given us the
"logical" model we have is to be admired IMHO.  If a given UA is not able to
parse minimally tagged source it (surely) doesn't qualify as a UA.

Russ