Re: Using the DOM with Java

At 10:26 AM 12/2/98 +0000, you wrote:
>I apologise in advance if this is an inappropriate posting, or this
>subject has been covered before, but I'm new to this list.

Not at all!

>I would like to write an application in Java which uses the DOM
>interface to transfer information from an HTML page to a database.
>Reading the w3 DOM pages this seems to be the sort of thing the DOM
>is designed for.  Can anyone tell me whether the DOM/Java is ready
>for this yet - I can't see anything in the jdk1.2 documentation about
>the DOM, but maybe I've misunderstood something?

The DOM Level 1 doesn't deal with repositories explicitly, nor will Level
2, but there's a good chance that Level 3 (Late 1999?) will do so.  In the
meantime, it's up to specific vendors to support DOM interfaces into
database products.  Texcel (an XML repository vendor) is a member of the
DOM WG and they may plan such a thing; Poet is a W3C member and has a good
awareness of the DOM, and Oracle just announced an XML/DOM interface to
Oracle 8i (see their white paper on XML linked off
http://www.oracle.com/xml ). Other repository vendors with a good XML story
(e.g. Object Design) *may* be aware of the DOM; if you have a specific
vendor in mind, you should contact them and ask about their DOM story (or
encourage them to get one!).

I wouldn't expect the DOM interfaces to be defined in the Sun JDK anytime
soon; these are defined by a different organization (the World Wide Web
Consortium) ON TOP of Java (and ECMAScript, and OMG IDL), not as part of
the languages themselves.

Mike Champion