Re: Using the DOM with Java

At 09:31 AM 12/2/98 -0500, Mike Champion wrote:

>The DOM Level 1 doesn't deal with repositories explicitly, nor will Level
>2, but there's a good chance that Level 3 (Late 1999?) will do so.  In the
>meantime, it's up to specific vendors to support DOM interfaces into
>database products.  Texcel (an XML repository vendor) is a member of the
>DOM WG and they may plan such a thing; Poet is a W3C member and has a good
>awareness of the DOM, and Oracle just announced an XML/DOM interface to
>Oracle 8i (see their white paper on XML linked off
>http://www.oracle.com/xml ). Other repository vendors with a good XML story
>(e.g. Object Design) *may* be aware of the DOM; if you have a specific
>vendor in mind, you should contact them and ask about their DOM story (or
>encourage them to get one!).

Hmmm....we seem to have interpreted the question differently.

I thought she wanted to take information from web pages and put them into
traditional databases, not XML/SGML/HTML repositories like Texcel. For
repositories, the best route is for the repository vendor to support the
DOM directly, as we intend to. I can't say anything about dates, though.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research
http://www.texcel.no