Re: DOM Level 2 Core Features

From: Ted Bashor <bashor@extricity.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 13:38:10 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
>3) Direct child element searching by tag name or attribute value.

I second this wish, and would hope for more than just direct child access.
However, I realize that agreeing on the query notation for a method like
  Element traverse(String query_str)
will be a whole can of worms.  It would be great if there was some simple
base notation like "foo.bar[2].baz" for descendant access.  Of course '.' is
a name char and therefore not a good tag name delimiter.  Can anyone suggest
a notation more concise than XPointer that might be standardized in the DOM
(Level 2, 3, 4, ...)?

-- ted