Re: Remote DOM access ??

"Pasqualino \"Titto\" Assini" wrote:

> As you implemented a CORBA DOM implementation you are probably the best person
> to ask.

Actually there are people on this list who have far more complete
DOMimplementations than mine and people who knows DOM much better than
me, but thanks for your confidence ;)

> Did you try to access a sizable XML document across the Internet and, for
> example,  print it ?

You mean though the DOM API? Nope. The implementation is not eventested yet, and I
don't have access to make such a setup by myself.
However we were discussing to do network tests with CORBA in
the Berlin-project later on.

> It would be interesting to know how would that compare with:
> - zipping the document on the server
> - dowloading it on the client
> - reparsing and printing it

Sorry, no idea...

> > >  A related question, is there any proposal for a protocol between a DOM
> > > implementation and an underlying datastore ?
>
> I'm sorry but I don't understand, IIOP is an inter-ORB protocol, used to carry
> CORBA calls.

> What has it to do with a DOM to DB interface ?

I guess I just misunderstood what you meat. IIOP can send CORBA callsacross a
network from an interface (DOM) client to an implementation
(possibly a DB). So there's a protcol...

> What I was thinking was some kind of "minimal DOM interface" on which the whole
> DOM could be implemented.
>
> A DB vendor should support only this minimal set, so making porting DOM to a
> range to DBs easier.
>
> Does it make any sense ?

Yup, now I understand it completely different - but I don't know aboutthis. That is
for the DOM workgroup to decide I guess.

Cheers
--
val it = ("ÁNOQ of the Sun", "Johnny Andersen",
["anoq@vip.cybercity.dk", "anoq@berlin-consortium.org"],