Re: Remote DOM access ??

From: \ <assini@kamus.it>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 15:51:03 +0100
To: anoq@vip.cybercity.dk
CC: "'DOM list'" <www-dom@w3.org>
ANOQ of the Sun wrote:

> wrt the efficiency, that will have to be tested. Of course you will need
> some interfaces to control concurrent access to the DOM API,
> but that is planned for level 2, if I'm not mistaken.

As you implemented a CORBA DOM implementation you are probably the best person
to ask.

Did you try to access a sizable XML document across the Internet and, for
example,  print it ?

It would be interesting to know how would that compare with:
- zipping the document on the server
- dowloading it on the client
- reparsing and printing it

> >  A related question, is there any proposal for a protocol between a DOM
> > implementation and an underlying datastore ?
>
> CORBA defines such a protocol (both a general one called GIOP anda specific
> internet-protocol version called IIOP). You just need the
> IDL interfaces, and they are included in the DOM distribution.

I'm sorry but I don't understand, IIOP is an inter-ORB protocol, used to carry
CORBA calls.

What has it to do with a DOM to DB interface ?

What I was thinking was some kind of "minimal DOM interface" on which the whole
DOM could be implemented.

A DB vendor should support only this minimal set, so making porting DOM to a
range to DBs easier.

Does it make any sense ?

    Thanks

--
Pasqualino "Titto" Assini
The Data Archive - University of Essex, UK