Re: 3 comments for the 0720 DOM spec...

From: John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:50:51 -0400
To: DOM List <www-dom@w3.org>
ANOQ of the Sun wrote:

> This might be a problem with enums - I agree. But since your unsigned
> shorts are defined in Node, you are still in trouble. You have to change
> the implementation of Node to add constants later and if that is an
> option, it can be done for enums too.

Not really.  It's one thing to extend an interface by adding new
elements; that's routine.  But an enum is a class, without the
feature of extensibility.  (At least not in C--; in Java, enums
are usually implemented as ints anyhow.  One could create a special
class with just N pre-constructed elements and access them through
static variables.)