W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-dom-ts@w3.org > July 2002

Another call for wider range of contributors (was: Re: Action items status)

From: Dimitris Dimitriadis <dimitris@ontologicon.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 00:06:02 +0300
Cc: Rick Rivello <richard.rivello@nist.gov>, www-dom-ts@w3.org
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Message-Id: <51C0BD1D-A4C9-11D6-BCE9-000393556882@ontologicon.com>

Thanks for the clarifications, Philippe

Let me point out that, IMO, we won't be able to run the DOM TS against 
Mozilla, IE and Opera unless we have significant contributions from (at 
least) IE and Opera resources (given that Netsacpe already contribute 
significantly, having donated tests and allocating resources on the DOM 
TS framework). We are currently trying to focus on framework issues (ie. 
comparing the JsUnit in its most recent version with the version that 
Curt Arnold tweaked in order to be able to run the existing DOM TS 
tests) which is rather resource draining. We're also still contributing 
and evaluating HTML tests; given the latest clarification from the DOM 
WG that it is the DOM Level 2 HTML specification which is to be 
considered the normative one, we should soon be able to focus on final 
sanity check and packaging in view of the DOM TS Level 1 version 2 and 
DOM TS level 2 at a later stage.

As we stand now, we do not have the resources to look into special 
issues arising in connection to problems encountered with the JsUnit 
framework in IE and Opera (to my knowledge). Any help is not only 
appreciated, but very much needed. We could of course decide to go ahead 
and release a DOM TS which is known not to work properly, but then the 
question is if we will manage to help move the Level 2 HTML draft nearer 
specification status. Given the fact that we need two implementations of 
the DOM Level 2 HTML specification in order to move it further down the 
W3C publishing pipeline, it goes without saying that parties interested 
in having their product used as a showcase of DOM Level 2 HTML 
compliance need to help out in seeing to that there is a framework to 
show this.

As I've pointed out on the list a few times, pending on significant 
contributions, I think we'd be lucky if we were able to release the DOM 
TS in the very near future.


On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 04:49  PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 08:55, Dimitris Dimitriadis wrote:
>> [dd] The safest bet is to write tests for Level 2 HTML, as both level 1
>> and level 1 SE have issues.
> In fact, this explains why DOM Level 1 SE is on hold for the moment. We
> would like to put a sentence in the SE version recommending users to use
> DOM Level 2 HTML instead of DOM Level 1 HTML, due to the
> incompatibilities. But we cannot put this comment until DOM Level 2 is
> approved as a W3C Recommendation.
> Hopefully, we'll be able to run the tests suite against IE, Netscape,
> and Opera at the end of August and move out of the CR phase after that.
> Philippe
Received on Wednesday, 31 July 2002 17:06:19 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:34:05 UTC