RE: Issues about the DOM TS brought up in the DOM WG Telcon

> From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@houston.rr.com]

> > 1. Browser sniffing -- it seems that the sniffing is not elaborate
> > enough, makes Mozille, for example, run code with calls to
> an ActiveX
> > object.
>
> I'll admit that it isn't elaborate, but under what scenario
> does Mozilla run
> an ActiveX object?

IE programmatically implements DOM Documents as ActiveX objects. So, I
guess some of the test that require this, use (in JavaScript)

var myDomDoc = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLDOM");

You may encounter an msxml version_dependent_ProgId like
Msxml2.XMLDOM.4.0. The above is IE specific. Mozilla instead uses the
factory style (as DOM Level 2 likes it):

var myDomDoc = document.implementation.createDocument("", "", null);

Anyway, it should be something like the above situation: need of vendor
dependent code and lack of browser sniffing.

I'd be happy to give a hand fixing this if you pass it on.

Manos