Re: Issues about the DOM TS brought up in the DOM WG Telcon

From: Curt Arnold <carnold@houston.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 04:08:31 -0600
To: <www-dom-ts@w3.org>
To get to the call to new ActiveXObject, the browser must be identified as
IE.  For Netscape or Mozilla to be falsely identified as IE,
navigator.appName must contain  "Microsoft" and not contain "Netscape".
That does not occur with Mozilla on any of the versions and platforms that
I've tested.

What I wanted was something like, when running Mozilla 0.9.8 on OpenVMS, I
get a message that ActiveXObject is not defined.  The value of
navigator.appName is "Mozilla (not Microsoft)".

However, I've incorporated the logic from
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/sniffer/browser_type.html to
detect Navigator 6 and Mozilla.  However, since I don't have access to
whatever Mozilla browser that confounds the existing logic, I can't tell if
it fixes the problem.

I'll be committing some changes to DOMTestSuite.js in just a few moments.