W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-dom-ts@w3.org > February 2002

Re: My stab at a distribution

From: Dimitris Dimitriadis <dimitris@ontologicon.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:35:49 +0100
Cc: "Curt Arnold" <carnold@houston.rr.com>, <www-dom-ts@w3.org>, Edward Hieatt <edward@edwardh.com>
To: "Mary Brady" <mbrady@nist.gov>
Message-Id: <BCF98AE0-209F-11D6-9D3C-000393556882@ontologicon.com>
OK, so far we have positive feedback from Mary, Rick and (partly) 

I think we've sanitychecked enough, so the question is:

Do we

1. publish the TS using the patched JsUnit, or do we
2. wait for the official JsUnit update?

There is a middle way which is to

3. publish as is now, given that there is commitment to include our 
patches into the next release of JsUnit.

I'm in favour of 3. Others?


On Wednesday, February 13, 2002, at 04:44 , Mary Brady wrote:

> I ran jsunit, command line junit and the swing version -
> all worked ok.
> --Mary
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dimitris Dimitriadis" <dimitris@ontologicon.com>
> To: "Dimitris Dimitriadis" <dimitris@ontologicon.com>
> Cc: "Curt Arnold" <carnold@houston.rr.com>; <www-dom-ts@w3.org>
> Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 10:17 AM
> Subject: Re: My stab at a distribution
>> Corrected, I had to dig out the tools you indicated, works just fine.
>> So before finally  going for this release, would people please sanity
>> check? The only changes I'll make are to index.htm (minor fixes) as 
>> well
>> as creating a dated directory for versioning.
>> The distibution to check is
>> http://home.houston.rr.com/curta/dom1-core.tar.gz
>> /Dimitris
>> On Wednesday, February 13, 2002, at 04:01 , Dimitris Dimitriadis wrote:
>>> OK, I'll explore further, however, I've seen the truncations in both
>>> your version and my clean build (zip).
>>> .js issue resolved now, as I see it.
>>> Let me check the matrix.html file and report back
>>> /Dimitris
>>> On Wednesday, February 13, 2002, at 03:49 , Curt Arnold wrote:
>>>> Dimitris Dimitriadis wrote:
>>>>> general remark: the ecmascript/tests folder is very strange, 
>>>>> contains
>>>>> files with truncated filenames (problem with file name length?),
>>>>> several
>>>>> similar files, eg. documentinvalidcharacterexcepti,
>>>>> documentinvalidcharacterexc.1, documentinvalidcharacterexc.2 and
>>>>> documentinvalidcharacterexc.3
>>>>> Problems during the build or file system related?
>>>> I don't see that in my local copy of the tar.gz.  Though I often see
>>>> warnings in other open source projects that .tar.gz files must be
>>>> extracted
>>>> using GNU tar (or compatible) since earlier Unix tar's apparently had
>>>> filename limits.  The distribution produces both a .zip and a 
>>>> .tar.gz,
>>>> but I
>>>> only uploaded the .tar.gz since the .zip was much larger and I didn't
>>>> have
>>>> enough space on my personal home page.
>>>>> [dd] True, but we need to decide whether to have the source there,
>>>>> both
>>>>> for Java and ECMA, just in case people want to write their own
>>>>> harness.
>>>>> I'd go for including them, which is why I had them in my 
>>>>> distribution
>>>>> sent earlier.
>>>> The Java source is provided in the dom1-core.jar.  The .js standalone
>>>> code
>>>> is not usable by any known test framework.  I thought providing it
>>>> would be
>>>> confusing since people may set breakpoints on the .js file, not
>>>> realizing
>>>> that the running code is actually within the .html pages.
>>>>> OK, but we still don't want to release before having the patches
>>>>> built into a release of JsUnit?
>>>> I'd prefer that we don't, but this would be tolerable.
>>>>> The test matrix now has links to both the XML source and Doxygen
>>>>> documentation for each test since Mozilla doesn't display raw XML 
>>>>> in a
>>>>> pleasing manner.
>>>> [dd] Several of the links to the Java source didn't work.
>>>> Possibly the same issue with filename truncation.
>>>>> 2. index.htm on the CVS. I don't see the point for this, except if 
>>>>> we
>>>>> manage to automate title, date creation (releases will vary as to 
>>>>> when
>>>>> they are released) and other things to make it relevant for the
>>>>> particular distribution created
>>>> The idea is that anyone with the right tools installed can come back
>>>> and
>>>> generate any specific release by checking out properly tagged sources
>>>> from
>>>> the CVS and building.  In our case that depends that several external
>>>> resources remain available and unchanging (the DOM specs, JUnit,
>>>> JSUnit).
>>>> I cheated (it was getting really late) and did not do a "ant clean"
>>>> before
>>>> "ant dom1-core-dist" and inadvertantly provided xercesImpl.jar and
>>>> xmlParserAPIs.jar in my distribution.  The proper way to do the
>>>> distribution
>>>> is to do a full checkout of the CVS sources to a clean directory and
>>>> then
>>>> run "ant dom1-core-dist" to ensure that no uncommitted file is
>>>> participating
>>>> in the build.
Received on Wednesday, 13 February 2002 11:35:00 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:34:04 UTC