Re: Please explain the role of the W3C in the continuing development of HTML

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:41:39 +0100
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, jeff@w3.org, timbl@w3.org, plh@w3.org, www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>
On 15 February 2011 10:27, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Please explain the role of the W3C in the continuing development of HTML"

This does seem worth addressing directly, somewhere on the W3C site.

While it's hard to judge the perception at large, it's not hard to get
the impression that the W3C's development of HTML was subverted by the
WHAT WG, with XHTML 2.0 going out of the window and the focus moving
to Hixie's vision and plan for HTML5, the W3C being dragged along,
sometimes seemingly reluctantly.

Beyond HTML5 the WHAT WG  ("Maintaining and evolving HTML since 2004")
appear to be unilaterally asserting their role as the centre of HTML
development with their 'living' standard. I for one can't see how that
model alone can fulfil the demands of organisations which rely on
fixed specifications to decide policy (and developers to build
against). So I would hope, given their history, that the W3C would
also have a role here.

I suppose I'd rephrase Steve's question thus:

Please explain the role of the W3C in the

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name