Re: "maybe even in the fact that you use words as all," (sic)

Hi, Jonathan-

As usual, you are twisting the facts to suit your claim.

Your claim was that 20% of people in the UK are functionally illiterate
(I think that figure is high, but I've seen a news story that suggests
something similar, so I'll grant you some validity there... other
sources say that the UK has a 99% literacy rate, but I don't have all
the facts, nor do I think you do).  Let's concentrate on the UK, and on
that figure.

Of those, only a small percentage will have a learning disability or
speech impediment.  For the great majority, one or more alternate media
(including phones, or VOIP for the Web) is absolutely appropriate.  For
the rest, no one solution will suit all of them; we have to introduce a
variety of technologies and techniques to compensate.  For some of those
solutions, the problem will need standardization, and that's where W3C
(and other organizations, and governments) step in; for others,
applications making the best use of those technologies, as well as other
custom technologies, play a larger role.

You are actually introducing a red herring by throwing out and
conflating nonsense statistics.  The point is not to meet the needs of
20%, or 80%, or 90% of people... it is to make considerations for as
many people as possible.  Throwing numbers at the problem is like the
Mythical Man-Month.  We need better-engineered and novel solutions, not
more hacks.

But not all features of all technologies have to meet the needs of every
individual.  Take SVG for example: no matter how many accessibility
features we build into SVG to compensate for the fact that some people
can't see, those people still won't be able to see it.  Most of the spec
will simply be useless to those people, unfortunately.  But that doesn't
mean that we should abandon the technology or those features... rather,
we should build in adequate compensations, such as ARIA offers for
form-type controls.

Despite your claims, WAI and other groups do reach out to a variety of
people and groups, some directly, and some through representatives or
agents.  I respect your work as one of those agents.  Your motives are
good; your methods are lousy.

Regards-
-Doug