Re: "maybe even in the fact that you use words as all," (sic)

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:43:44 +0100
Cc: www-archive <www-archive@w3.org>
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>

regarding the claim that 20% of people in the UK are functionally
illiterate may I refer you to the very well respected report 'A Fresh
Start' by Lord Moser for the UK Government:

Improving Literacy and Numeracy
A Fresh Start
The report of the working group chaired by Sir Claus Moser.
Chapter 1: The Problem and Our Strategy
1.1 Something like one adult in five in this country is not
functionally literate and far more people have problems with numeracy.

I have referred in the past to this report in emails to the www-svg

Communication and literacy rely on both reading and writing.
Current W3C web specifications are being developed by developers, for
developers and the corporations that employ them.

Jonathan Chetwynd

+44 (0) 20 7978 1764