Re: [whatwg] Creative Commons Rights Expression Language

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> If DRY is what you are aiming for, you should use HTML <title> instead
> of dc:title and HTTP Content-Type instead of dc:type when talking about
> the HTML document itself.

<title> is not a bad solution, and we considered using that as syntactic
sugar for dc:title, but we chose to stay away from such highly specific
hacks because they don't solve anything close to the scope of the problem.

What's the element for cc:attributionName?

> In order to talk about the HTML document itself, you could register
> http://creativecommons.org/ns#attributionName and
> http://creativecommons.org/ns#attributionURL as a <meta> name and a
> <link> rel respectively. (That wouldn't be DRY though.)

So... you said it yourself, that wouldn't be DRY, and it wouldn't be
self-contained.

> The (original) definition of dc:date is so bad that it's useless. (It's
> confusing a datatype with a field identifier.)

So use another vocabulary. That's the whole idea: use what you think is
right, stop imposing vocabularies on the entire world.

> That seems like you are proposing that humans (via text editor) deal
> with the syntax instead of tools hiding it all.

Have you seen MySpace? Or blogs? That's the only avenue for editing:
paste some HTML in. The kids really understand this part quite well.
They may not understand the HTML, which is why tools to produce the HTML
can be useful.

Having this in the HTML is the only way to make this ubiquitous. Having
tools to help produce the HTML is a big help, though it's not always
necessary.

-Ben