Re: [whatwg] Creative Commons Rights Expression Language

On Aug 23, 2008, at 03:28, Ben Adida wrote:

> Bonner, Matt wrote:
>>> Not at all what we're doing. A lot of the data will be in HTML to
>>> begin with.
>>
>> Such as?
>
> cc:attributionName, cc:attributionURL, dc:title, dc:type,
> dc:date, ....

If DRY is what you are aiming for, you should use HTML <title> instead
of dc:title and HTTP Content-Type instead of dc:type when talking
about the HTML document itself. (I think linked resources should talk
for themselves.)

In order to talk about the HTML document itself, you could register http://creativecommons.org/ns#attributionName
  and http://creativecommons.org/ns#attributionURL as a <meta> name
and a <link> rel respectively. (That wouldn't be DRY though.) You
could also define that if those are absent, http://creativecommons.org/ns#attributionName
  defaults to <meta name=author> and http://creativecommons.org/ns#attributionURL
  to the URL of the document.

The (original) definition of dc:date is so bad that it's useless.
(It's confusing a datatype with a field identifier.)

>> Why would the average user understand better how to put ccREL data in
>> HTML pages than elsewhere?
>
> Because we hand them a chunk of HTML they can copy-and-paste into
> their
> HTML page, blog post, MySpace page, etc.. Much easier than anything I
> know of for media files.

That seems like you are proposing that humans (via text editor) deal
with the syntax instead of tools hiding it all.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi