Re: use of cite [was: fun with embedded RDF]

Le 06-02-28 à 17:12, Dan Connolly a écrit :
> On Feb 28, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:
>> Le 06-02-23 à 09:39, Dan Connolly a écrit :
>>
>> Sorry to jump in, but is it an appropriate use of cite?
>
> I think so; "brilliant ideas" is a (hypothetical) title of a talk.

Yes this is a good use. I agree with you. I didn't understand that it
was a title.

> <cite> is use for marking up titles of cited works. At least it was
> when
> it was added to HTML 2.0. The semantics
> seem to have drifted since then, but I think it has only
> grown usages, not lost them.

One of the reasons of the drifting semantics of "cite" is a sound
problem in western languages.

* citation in French, German, Dutch, etc is a quote (for the main
use). But I guess it's one possible meaning of English, as well.

> Wow... the HTML 4 spec
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1
> doesn't even document the original purpose of cite:

yes :/ I know that, and plenty of other elements.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***