use of cite [was: fun with embedded RDF]

On Feb 28, 2006, at 4:56 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:
> Le 06-02-23 à 09:39, Dan Connolly a écrit :
>
> Sorry to jump in, but is it an appropriate use of cite?

I think so; "brilliant ideas" is a (hypothetical) title of a talk.
<cite> is use for marking up titles of cited works. At least it was when
it was added to HTML 2.0. The semantics
seem to have drifted since then, but I think it has only
grown usages, not lost them.

Wow... the HTML 4 spec
  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1
doesn't even document the original purpose of cite:

[[
The CITE element is used to indicate the title of a book or other
citation. It is typically rendered as italics. For example:

He just couldn't get enough of <cite>The Grapes of Wrath</cite>.
]]
  -- http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html#SEC5.7.1.1

It's supposed to capture this idiom:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Titles_of_artistic_works