Re: Add gzip support to XSLT service

Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> writes:

> * Ted Guild wrote:
>>By gzip I take it you want that for potentially all input sources,
>>xml, xsl and xsl:include document() etc as well as option to output
>>result in gzip.  Interesting, I'll add to todos page.  So as not to
>>have to check headers for every resource I might have it only look for
>>gzipped input if specified explicitly in the request.
>
> I'd be fine if just the XSLT can have Content-Encoding:gzip. I just
> wrote a very large XSLT (it has long data tables to be joined with
> the input, > 600K) and it compresses to about 20K, so if the service
> does not cache the XSLT I wouldn't throw that much traffic at it;
> with gzip support that'd be more reasonable.

Here I thought the days of compressing for sake of limited bandwidth
and disk space were largely behind us ;-) Still has it's uses.

I'm seeing other services out there that throw around gzipped results
so it's worth tackling on all ends.  Any input that gives a
Content-Encoding header as gzip[ped] is now treated as such.  I'll add
as an option to output in not too distant future.

Enjoy,

--
Ted Guild <ted@w3.org>
W3C Systems Team