[w3photo] community "ranking" of images

From: Greg Elin <elin@unitboy.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:42:06 -0400
To: semantic-photolist@unitboy.com

Discussions with Bryce Benton and Marc Rowlfing yielded an important
solution to organizing the default archive and controlling images.

The idea is to use community ranking of images along the lines of
slashdot and kuroshin. As a part of commenting/annotating photos,
logged in users can rank a photo on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 to 10?).   A
person can only rank a photo once. Users can select the rank of photos
they want to browse. The default would be just above halfway point on
the scale.

This community ranking adds another type of metadata to the photo:
group approval. This could go a very long way of addressing the ability
of an individual or two sabotage the quality of the historic record
with off topic photos, etc.

As this model is pretty well proven with slashdot, it gives a clearer
direction for fixing up the default archive UI, which I am working on
now. If you are interested in seeing work in progress, just drop me an
email.

Greg