Re: SHOULD/MUST for xml:lang values?

can you provide a ptr to this thread?

David C. Fallside, IBM
Ext Ph: 530.477.7169
Int  Ph: 544.9665
fallside@us.ibm.com

|         |           Marc Hadley      |
|         |           <marc.hadley@sun.|
|         |           com>             |
|         |           12/12/2002 08:02 |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                        |
  |       To:       David Fallside/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS                                                                  |
  |       cc:       "Anish Karmarkar" <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>, "Nilo Mitra" <EUSNILM@am1.ericsson.se>, "Martin Gudgin"|
  |        <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, "Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, <www-archive@w3.org>,                     |
  |        frystyk@microsoft.com, Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM@Lotus, carine@w3.org, ylafon@w3.org, ryuji@isl.mei.co.jp   |
  |       Subject:  Re: SHOULD/MUST for xml:lang values?                                                                   |
  |                                                                                                                        |
  |                                                                                                                        |

There was an email thread following my post where all the participants
agreed that SHOULD rather than MUST is the right level of compliance.
We also agreed this in the concall. Reason is that the Text element is
just for human readable stuff and isn't really an interop point of
failure. If a receiver gets two Text elements with the same value for
xml:lang the it can just pick one.

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>