Re: Classes Considered Harmful

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 20:52:46 -0700
To: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>, Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Cc: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, <www-archive@w3.org>
At 10:41 PM 7/7/01 -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>I think that semantics and accessibility would be better served if XHTML
>did things a different way.

Kynn is raising the "in the meanwhile" point which is the area in which
people doing *real* stuff operate. Since not only does XHTML *not* do
things in this different way, it is unlikely to do so in any reasonable
length of time.

Their deadlines do not permit waiting the requisite several years before
any of the stuff we propose will be even published, let alone realized in
practice. CSS is years old and still barely in effect by the browsers and
almost not at all by authors. Section 508 is over 15 years old and is just
now reaching any level of awareness. The ten commandments are thousands of
years...

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE