Re: Classes Considered Harmful

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 22:59:10 -0500
Cc: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, <www-archive@w3.org>
To: love26@gorge.net (William Loughborough)
On Saturday, July 7, 2001, at 10:52  PM, William Loughborough wrote:

>> I think that semantics and accessibility would be better
>> served if XHTML did things a different way.
>
> Kynn is raising the "in the meanwhile" point which is the area
> in which people doing *real* stuff operate. Since not only does
> XHTML *not* do things in this different way, it is unlikely to
> do so in any reasonable length of time.

Apologies - I thought that you folks were creating a set of
recommendations for an ideal format, and I did not want Sean's
point to be tossed out simply because XHTML didn't follow it.

Definitely, XHTML authors should use class. The authors of XHTML
shouldn't.

Kynn comments:

> If you're thinking that designers wouldn't just create <blue> tags
> or color attributes, then you're hopelessly naive and/or deluded,
> friends.

No argument here. But you can at least give people the chance.
Not too many folks use LONGDESC, but I'm very glad it's there.

--
       "Aaron Swartz"      |              The Semantic Web
  <mailto:me@aaronsw.com>  |  <http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-long>